M4 Smart Motorway project – Stage 1
The NSW Government is investing $600 million to build the M4 Smart Motorway project, which will introduce intelligent technology to the M4 Motorway between Pitt Street, Mays Hill and Mulgoa Road, Penrith.
Key features of Stage 1
- Widening the M4 Motorway from three to four lanes in each direction between Roper Road and the M7 Motorway
- Building new maintenance bays along the M4 Motorway between Mamre Road and Reservoir Road
- Installing new emergency phones which will be connected to the incident management system
- Building three new noise walls and extending one existing noise wall
- Upgrading three interchanges at Reservoir Road, Wallgrove Road and Roper Road, including the installation of ramp meters and ramp control signs, as well as widening and realigning entry ramps
- Upgrading communications and power infrastructure to improve reliability of the corridor and support the rollout of additional electronic messaging, video surveillance cameras, vehicle detection devices and ramp metering
- Installing vehicle detection loops and CCTV cameras at each interchange to better manage traffic flow onto and along the motorway.