Denmark Link Road
The NSW Government is planning for the future and proposing to build a link road from the intersection of Garfield Road West and Denmark Road, Riverstone to the Westminster Street bridge, Schofields.
Updates and announcements
Roads and Maritime is seeking community feedback to help inform our future road plans in the North West Growth Area. We will host three community information sessions where you can ask the project teams questions and seek further information about proposed road upgrades. A formal presentation will not be given so please feel free to drop in any time at one of the following sessions:
- Saturday 27 July 2019, Schofields Community Centre, 65 Railway Terrace, Schofields between 10am and 2pm
- Tuesday 30 July 2019, Schofields Community Centre, 65 Railway Terrace, Schofields between 4pm and 7pm
- Thursday 1 August 2019, Riverstone Sports Centre, 15 Hamilton Street, Riverstone between 4pm and 7pm
If you are unable to attend one of the information sessions, you can contact us to discuss or arrange another time that is suitable to meet. To join the mailing list please contact the project team.
Please provide comments by 16 August 2019.
Denmark Link Road is a proposed new link road between Garfield Road West, Riverstone and the Westminster Street bridge, Schofields. This new link road would alleviate traffic congestion along Garfield Road West around the railway level crossing at Riverstone and would provide an alternate local connection for light vehicles to cross the Richmond railway line, to avoid the Riverstone town centre.
The preferred option would provide a link road from Garfield Road West, Riverstone via Denmark Road intersection to West Parade. West Parade would be extended to the Westminster Street bridge, Schofields. The proposal would link to new traffic lights that were completed in September 2016 at the Westminster Street and Railway Terrace intersection.
The Denmark Link Road is part of the North West Growth Centre Road Network Strategy short-term work and is subject to funding availability.
Benefits of the project include:
- Reducing the congestion and delays that are currently being experienced at the Garfield Road railway level crossing at Riverstone
- Providing a local road connection for motorists wishing to use the Westminster Street Bridge, alleviating congestion on Garfield Road.
Key features of the project include:
- Two lane local road
- A new right-turn bay along Garfield Road West for traffic waiting to enter Denmark Road at Riverstone
- Improvements to the existing Denmark Road
- A new link road between Denmark Road and Carlton Street
- A new intersection at Carlton Street
- Extension of West Parade to connect near the Westminster Street Bridge at Schofie
Roads and Maritime sought feedback on the proposed Denmark Link Road in November and December 2015. During the consultation period, 18 submissions were received. Roads and Maritime carefully considered all the submissions received from the community and prepared a consultation report. View or download the consultation report.
We worked with Department of Planning Industry and Environment (NSW DPIE) in developing the West Schofields Draft Precinct Plan which identified the need to make minor modification to the proposal between Carlton Street and West Parade. The revised proposal will follow the existing road corridor and was displayed as part of the West Schofields Draft Precinct Plan in September 2018.
Roads and Maritime will further develop the revised proposal with stakeholders and prepare the concept design and environmental assessment. The community will have the opportunity to have their say on the concept design and environmental assessment for the project.
What are the next steps?
View or download