Great Western Highway – Pitt Street to Marsden Street, Parramatta
The NSW Government completed this work as part of its $30 million Parramatta Congestion Improvement Program which reduces congestion around the Parramatta local government area by upgrading key intersections that access the Parramatta Central Business District.
Updates and announcements
The Great Western Highway - Pitt Street to Marsden Street is now complete. For more information, view the August 2019 project update and the Roads and Maritime Services July 2019 media release. We thank the community for their patience while we delivered this work.
The Great Western Highway - Pitt Street to Marsden Street is now complete. For more information, view the August 2019 project update and the Roads and Maritime Services July 2019 media release.
We thank the community for their patience while we delivered this work.
The NSW Government is investing $30 million to the Parramatta Congestion Improvement Program to reduce congestion in Parramatta and surrounding areas by upgrading key intersections.
The intersections of Pitt Street and Marsden Street along the Great Western Highway, Parramatta, were identified as important intersections to manage the increasing traffic demand and to improve traffic flow around the Parramatta CBD
The improvements will serve future traffic and transport needs of the Parramatta CBD by reducing travel times and easing congestion along the Great Western Highway between Pitt Street and Marsden Street.
What did we do?
Great Western Highway and Marsden Street - Stage one (now complete)
This stage of work included:
- providing an eastbound left turn lane on the Great Western Highway into Marsden Street by relocating the median island on the Great Western Highway between O’Connell Street and Marsden Street
- extending the westbound right turn lane on the Great Western Highway into Pitt Street by up to seven car spaces
- modifying the layout of traffic lights on the Great Western Highway at the intersections of O’Connell Street and Marsden Street
Great Western Highway and Pitt Street - Stage two (now open to traffic)
This stage of work includes:
- widening the Great Western Highway to create a dedicated left turn lane onto Pitt Street
- providing three northbound lanes in Pitt Street on approach to the Great Western Highway and one southbound lane in Pitt Street on the departure from Great Western Highway
- removing up to 16 trees and shrubs at the intersection of the Great Western Highway and Pitt Street to accommodate the new left turn lane on the corner of Pitt Street.
Benefits to the community include:
- improving access to and from the Parramatta CBD
- easing congestion for local road users and commuters
- increasing safety for all road users
- reducing wait times and increasing traffic flow
- facilitating growth and development in Parramatta and surrounding areas.
In August 2017, Roads and Maritime invited feedback from local businesses, residents and stakeholders on the proposal for intersection upgrades on the Great Western Highway between Pitt Street and Marsden Street, Parramatta.
Use our online tool to see what others in the community have said about this project during the consultation process
After reviewing all feedback, Roads and Maritime have decided to proceed with the project. A Community Consultation Report for the proposal which summarises the feedback and responses has been released along with a community notification that was distributed to residents notifying them of this outcome.