The Northern Road upgrade, Mersey Road to Glenmore Parkway
The Australian and NSW governments are upgrading The Northern Road as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan a $3.6 billion road investment program.
Updates and announcements
Early work starts on The Northern Road upgrade between Eaton Road and Littlefields Road
Early work has started on this section of the road upgrade. Further details in the May 2019 notification.
Work continues on The Northern Road upgrade between Littlefields Road and Glenmore Parkway
This work includes the construction of a concrete batch plant near the construction compound on The Northern Road at Littlefields Road. Further details are available in the June 2019 notification and consistency assessment for the batch plant.
Water infrastructure related work continues on The Northern Road
Roads and Maritime Services and Sydney Water will carry out preparatory work for future water utility relocations on The Northern Road, near the Defence Establishment at Orchard Hills.
Day and night work for the water utility relocations will be carried out by Sydney Water from Sunday 26 May 2019 till Friday 28 June 2019. Night work will be between 6pm and 7am from Sunday 26 May until 5pm on Monday 3 June 2019. This work needs to be done outside normal construction hours due to the high traffic volumes and to minimise disruption to traffic and for the safety of our workers. Further details and contact numbers are available in the water infrastructure notification.
Work continues on The Northern Road upgrade between Mersey Road and Eaton Road, Luddenham
View further details in the Major works notification.
On 15 June 2018 a delegate of the Commonwealth Environment Minister and on 30 May 2018 the NSW Planning Minister approved with conditions the project to upgrade The Northern Road between Mersey Road, Bringelly and Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park.
View or download the approvals:
The Northern Road upgrade will deliver new and upgraded roads to support integrated transport in the region and capitalise on the economic benefits from developing the Western Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek. It will also improve safety, increase road capacity and reduce congestion and travel times in the future.
The Northern Road upgrade between Mersey Road, Bringelly, and Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park covers about 16 kilometres and will divert The Northern Road around the Western Sydney Airport site and around Luddenham town centre. The project will be delivered in three sections from:
- Mersey Road to Eaton Road
- Eaton Road to Littlefields Road
- Littlefields Road to Glenmore Parkway.
The benefits of the proposed The Northern Road upgrade between Mersey Road, Bringelly and Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park include:
- improved transport connections between Penrith, the M4 Motorway, the Western Sydney Airport and surrounding developments
- increased road capacity for future growth and development
- improved access for construction and operation of the Western Sydney Airport
- improved public transport by providing bus priority at intersections and dedicated bus lanes north of Bradley Street
- improved safety for pedestrians and cyclists by providing a new shared path
- improved safety for all road users by:
- installing traffic lights at some intersections
- building a central median to separate opposing traffic flows
- providing turning lanes at some intersections
- improved alignment of the road
- improved street lighting at all intersections
- improved traffic efficiency for road users.
The project includes:
- a minimum of two general traffic lanes in each direction between Mersey Road, Bringelly and just south of Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park
- a wide central median to allow for an extra travel lane in each direction in the future, if required
- bus priority measures at all intersections and dedicated bus lanes to serve existing communities north of Bradley Street, Glenmore Park
- provision to extend bus lanes as growth and service demand requires
- about eight kilometres of new road between Mersey Road, Bringelly and just south of the existing Elizabeth Drive, Luddenham to realign the section of The Northern Road that currently runs through the Western Sydney Airport site and to bypass the Luddenham town centre
- about eight kilometres of upgraded and widened road between the existing Elizabeth Drive, Luddenham and just south of Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park
- access to the Luddenham town centre from north of the realigned The Northern Road and the existing The Northern Road
- four new traffic light intersections and new traffic lights at existing intersections
- local road changes and upgrades to current access arrangements for businesses and private properties
- a new shared path on the western side of The Northern Road and pedestrian paths on the eastern side of The Northern Road where required.
What happens next?
Construction has started on this section of the upgrade.