The Australian and NSW governments are upgrading The Northern Road as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP), a $4.1 billion road investment program.
FEB 2021Proposal to provide u-turn bay on Glenmore Parkway
A new u-turn bay is proposed to be provided on Glenmore Parkway instead of the roundabout. For more information please read our February notification (PDF, 181Kb).More information
Night work and closure of The Northern Road between Maxwell Street and Derby Street, South Penrith on Friday 26 and Sunday 28 February.
For more information please read our February night work notification letter (PDF, 199Kb).
Weekend closure of Glenmore Parkway and Wentworth Road, Orchard Hills Friday 26 February to Monday 1 March.
For more information please read our February notification letter (PDF, 173Kb).
Traffic changes and night work at The Northern Road and intersections south of the M4 from 9 November to 28 February 2021.
For more information, please read our November night work notification letter (PDF, 143Kb).
The Northern Road upgrade will deliver new and upgraded roads to support integrated transport in the region and capitalise on the economic benefits from developing the Western Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek. It would also improve safety, increase road capacity and reduce congestion and travel times in the future.
This upgrade covers about 4 kilometres between Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park and Jamison Road, South Penrith. It is planned to generally follow the existing road alignment.
As part of this upgrade, a number of building works are currently being carried out along The Northern Road.
For further information on individual areas of work, please read the following notifications:
- 5 August - 31 October: Continuous night work and temporary road closures on The Northern Road and Glenmore Parkway intersection (PDF, 857Kb)
- 1 August and 8 August: Wentworth Road closure (PDF, 248Kb)
- 24 July: Smith Street west closures for six weeks (PDF, 285Kb)
- 20 July – 22 July: Road closure at The Northern Road and Jamison Road intersection (PDF, 194Kb)
- 10 July – 13 July: Road closure at The Northern Road and Glenmore Parkway intersection (PDF, 318Kb)
- 3 July - 16 August: Temporary west-facing ramps closures on the M4 Motorway at The Northern Road (PDF, 285Kb)
- 27 June - 30 September: Traffic changes and road closures on The Northern Road (PDF, 279Kb)
- 1 June - 31 August: Night work continuing on The Northern Road (PDF, 304Kb)
- 29 May - 31 May: The Northern Road closure and Tukara Road closure (PDF, 257Kb)
- 16 May: Changes to construction hours (COVID19) (PDF, 257Kb)
- 8 May – 31 July: Road closure at The Northern Road and Glenmore Parkway intersection (PDF, 321Kb)
- 20 March - 2 May: Night work and temporary closure of Frogmore Road (PDF, 330Kb)
- 4 March - 31 May: Road closures on The Northern Road and Glenmore Parkway, Orchard Hills (PDF, 231Kb)
- Contractor: Acciona (formerly Lendlease Engineering)
- Start of major construction: mid-2017
- Expected completion date: mid-2021
- Project value (of all 6 sections of The Northern Road): $1.6 billion
- Funding source: Australian and NSW governments
If you live along this route there may be changes to how you access your property. To see these changes, please visit our interactive portal.
The benefits of The Northern Road upgrade:
- Improving travel times by:
- Increasing the number of lanes along The Northern Road
- Removing a set of traffic lights at the M4 Interchange
- Providing additional turning lanes at some intersections
- Allowing for reliable public transport by providing a continuous kerbside bus lane in each direction
- Improving safety for pedestrians and cyclists by providing a new shared path
- Improving connectivity for pedestrians by providing new footpaths
- Improving road safety by:
- Providing a central median to separate opposing traffic flows
- Installing new traffic lights at two existing intersections
- Providing separate turning lanes at some intersections
- Improving the alignment of the road
- Improving local access by providing an extension of Cross Road to Wentworth Road
- Mitigating traffic noise impacts by providing two new noise barriers.
Key features of The Northern Road upgrade include:
- Widening The Northern Road to provide four lanes in each direction (three general traffic lanes and a kerbside bus lane)
- Building a new bridge over the M4 Motorway with the existing bridge to be removed
- Installing new traffic lights and turning lanes at some intersections
- Providing continuous bus lanes in each direction
- Installing a central median
- Providing a new shared pedestrian and cyclist path and footpaths
- Installing new street lighting, drainage, safety barriers and landscaping
- Installing new retaining walls
- Installing two new noise barriers
We have awarded the design and construction contract to Lendlease. Work started in mid-2017 and it is expected that the road will be open to traffic by 2020.
We will continue to provide updates to the community as the project progresses.
Cyclist detour map
View or download a large version of The Northern Road cyclist detour map.
For construction information contact:
Phone: 1800 870 665
For further information about this project:
Phone: 1800 703 457 (toll free)
Mail: Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan, PO Box 973 Parramatta CBD NSW 2124