The Australian and NSW governments are upgrading The Northern Road as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP), a $4.1 billion road investment program.
Progress on project
The August 2019 community update for the project is now available.
Traffic changes on The Northern Road between Littlefields Road and Gates Road, Luddenham
Speed reduction to 60kmh and a new roundabout are some of the changes expected during December. Further details in November 2019 traffic changes notification.
Work continues on The Northern Road between Eaton Road Luddenham and Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park
Work will continue between 30 November 2019 and 29 February 2020 including the closure of the area along the northbound side of the road between Bradley Street and Glenmore Parkway from Friday 6 December 2019. Further details in the November 2019 notification.
Approval received for change in design – replacing bridge over Adams Road, Luddenham with traffic lights
In June 2019, approval was received from the Minister for Planning to modify the design for The Northern Road upgrade at Adams Road. To view the approval documents and the modification visit the Department of Planning website.
Work continues on The Northern Road upgrade between Mersey Road and Eaton Road, Luddenham
View further details in the Major works notification.
On 15 June 2018 a delegate of the Commonwealth Environment Minister and on 30 May 2018 the NSW Planning Minister approved with conditions the project to upgrade The Northern Road between Mersey Road, Bringelly and Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park.
View or download the approvals:
The Northern Road upgrade will deliver new and upgraded roads to support integrated transport in the region and capitalise on the economic benefits from developing the Western Sydney Airport at Badgerys Creek. It will also improve safety, increase road capacity and reduce congestion and travel times in the future.
The Northern Road upgrade between Mersey Road, Bringelly, and Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park covers about 16 kilometres and will divert The Northern Road around the Western Sydney Airport site and around Luddenham town centre. The project will be delivered in three sections from:
- Mersey Road to Eaton Road
- Eaton Road to Littlefields Road
- Littlefields Road to Glenmore Parkway.
The benefits of the proposed The Northern Road upgrade between Mersey Road, Bringelly and Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park include:
- improved transport connections between Penrith, the M4 Motorway, the Western Sydney Airport and surrounding developments
- increased road capacity for future growth and development
- improved access for construction and operation of the Western Sydney Airport
- improved public transport by providing bus priority at intersections and dedicated bus lanes north of Bradley Street
- improved safety for pedestrians and cyclists by providing a new shared path
- improved safety for all road users by:
- installing traffic lights at some intersections
- building a central median to separate opposing traffic flows
- providing turning lanes at some intersections
- improved alignment of the road
- improved street lighting at all intersections
- improved traffic efficiency for road users.
The project includes:
- a minimum of two general traffic lanes in each direction between Mersey Road, Bringelly and just south of Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park
- a wide central median to allow for an extra travel lane in each direction in the future, if required
- bus priority measures at all intersections and dedicated bus lanes to serve existing communities north of Bradley Street, Glenmore Park
- provision to extend bus lanes as growth and service demand requires
- about eight kilometres of new road between Mersey Road, Bringelly and just south of the existing Elizabeth Drive, Luddenham to realign the section of The Northern Road that currently runs through the Western Sydney International Airport site and to bypass the Luddenham town centre
- about eight kilometres of upgraded and widened road between the existing Elizabeth Drive, Luddenham and just south of Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park
- access to the Luddenham town centre from north of the realigned The Northern Road and the existing The Northern Road
- four new traffic light intersections and new traffic lights at existing intersections
- local road changes and upgrades to current access arrangements for businesses and private properties
- a new shared path on the western side of The Northern Road and pedestrian paths on the eastern side of The Northern Road where required.
Construction has started on this section of the upgrade.
Mersey Road - Glenmore Parkway map
View or download the Mersey Road to Glenmore Parkway upgrade project map (PDF,392Kb).
August 2019 project update
The Northern Road upgrade between Mersey Road, Bringelly and Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park.
December 2017 environmental impact statement report
The Northern Road Upgrade –Mersey Road, Bringelly to Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park
December 2017 submissions and preferred infrastructure report
The Northern Road Upgrade - Mersey Road, Bringelly to Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
June 2017 frequently asked questions
Exhibitionof concept design and Environmental Impact Statement.