Roads and Maritime Services has built the Werrington Arterial Road as part of the Australian and NSW governments Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan, which will deliver $3.6 billion in road infrastructure improvements over the next 10 years.
Member for Mulgoa Tanya Davies, Member for Penrith Stuart Ayres and Minister for Urban Infrastructure Paul Fletcher officially opened the Werrington Arterial Road (Gipps Street) on Friday 26 May 2017.
- Contractors: Burtons Contractors
- Start date of major construction: March 2015
- Completion date: 28 May 2017
- Project value: $55 million
- Funding: Australian and NSW governments
Kent Road and Gipps Street, Claremont Meadows was upgraded to form the new Werrington Arterial Road. The Australian and NSW governments have provided $55 million to build this improved road infrastructure.
This upgrade will create a new link between the Great Western Highway and the M4 Motorway, increase capacity and improve travel times.
The key benefits of the project are:
- Improved access to the M4 Motorway
- Increased road capacity
- Improved safety for motorists
- More reliable travel times
- Improved access and safety for pedestrians and cyclists through an off-road shared path.
The key features of the project include:
- Widened Gipps Street and Kent Road to four lanes between the M4 Motorway and the Great Western Highway
- New eastbound entry and westbound exit ramps with traffic lights for the M4 Motorway
- Three intersection upgrades with traffic lights at Caddens Road/Kent Road, Fowler Street/Gipps Street and Sunflower Drive (north)/Gipps Street
- A three metre wide off-road shared path for pedestrians and cyclists, including a new bridge over the M4 Motorway
- Bicycle and pedestrian crossings at traffic lights
- Six bus bays on both sides of Gipps Street and Kent Road
- Posted vehicle speeds of 70km/h south of Caddens Road
- New line marking on the Kent Road Bridge to create two northbound lanes and one southbound lane
- Two metre wide shoulders
- Noise wall on the western side of Gipps Street between Caddens Road and the Great Western Highway.