Newell Highway and Mitchell Highway intersection upgrade
The NSW Government is investing $20 million to upgrade the Newell Highway and Mitchell Highway intersection to improve safety and efficiency. The roundabout will be removed and replaced with traffic lights to better regulate traffic flow.
This critical upgrade will reduce congestion at this busy intersection for locals and for traffic travelling through Dubbo. The Newell Highway and Mitchell Highway are part of the National Land Transport Network - an essential link for businesses and industries connecting major cities and regions. These routes are a vital part of the road network through Dubbo and the surrounding region.
The Newell Highway and Mitchell Highway intersection upgrade includes the following features:
- Traffic lights will replace the existing roundabout
- New pedestrian crossings on all four sides of the intersection, with foot ramps to improve wheelchair and pram access
- Intersection widening to allow for increasing traffic volumes
- Additional merge lane that minimises parking loss at Victoria Street shops
- Relocation of underground utilities and overhead power
- Safer turn paths for road trains (up to 36.5m long)
- New stormwater system to improve drainage in a high rainfall event.