Proposed improvements at the intersection of Wilde Avenue and Victoria Road, Parramatta.
JUL 2020Bus priority intersection improvements have started
Transport for NSW have started bus priority intersection improvements on Wilde Avenue and Victoria Road, Parramatta.More information
The bus priority intersection improvements will reduce delays for bus customers and motorists as part of the NSW Government’s Bus Priority Infrastructure Program.
We will start by setting up our work area and site compound. The compound site will be located on Moore College and the All Saints Anglican Church land, as marked on the bus priority intersection improvements map below.
We will be on site for up to nine months, weather permitting. Our work hours will be between 7am and 6pm from Monday to Friday, 8am to 1pm on Saturday and also between 8pm and 5am from Sunday to Friday. Night works will be limited to five nights a week. If you would like to get in touch, please see the Contact us information below.
The intersection improvements will reduce delays for bus customers and motorists.
- The Wilde Avenue and Victoria Road intersection is busy and congested, with more than 85 buses per hour travelling through it during the morning and afternoon peaks.
- Queued traffic waiting to turn right from Wilde Avenue into Victoria Road causes delays to buses and general traffic.
- Narrow lane widths on Wilde Avenue and Victoria Road make it difficult to turn:
- right for buses from Victoria Road eastbound into Wilde Avenue
- left for vehicles from Victoria Road westbound into Wilde Avenue
- left for buses from Wilde Avenue northbound into Victoria Road.
- Improve the reliability of bus services and journey times through the intersection.
- Ease congestion and improve travel times for all road users, particularly during peak periods.
- Reduce crash risk by providing a separate bus lane and road widening.
- Provide more capacity at the intersection to cater for future growth in bus services.
The proposed improvements aim to minimise delays and improve bus travel reliability through the intersection and include:
- A new dedicated right turn bus lane from Wilde Avenue northbound into Victoria Road to enable buses and vehicles to turn right at the same time.
- Road widening at the:
- eastern side of Wilde Avenue to provide space for the new dedicated right turn bus lane and improved lane widths on Wilde Avenue
- southern side of Victoria Road east of Wilde Avenue to improve kerbside lane widths.
- Property acquisition and adjustment along Wilde Avenue and Victoria Road within the All Saints Anglican Church which is a property of local heritage significance.
- Improved pedestrian facilities including realignment of the footpath on the south east corner of Victoria Road and Wilde Avenue and associated utility relocations.
Following consultation with the City of Parramatta Council and Parramatta Light Rail we carried out public consultation in late 2019. We received a small number of responses through meetings, phone calls and emails. Key issues raised in the consultation included:
- Support for the proposal.
- Engagement with Moore College and the All Saints Anglican Church about the proposal and the location of the site compound on their land.
- A request from the City of Parramatta Council to extend pavement rehabilitation works on Wilde Avenue southbound up to Barry Wilde Bridge.
- Impact on the All Saints Anglican Church and Moore College, including acquisition of a strip of land from the Church.
- The overall construction timeline and the specific times works will take place.
- Construction and operational impacts on the student residents of Moore College, as well as the operations of the Church.
- Requirements placed on workers accessing the site compound.
After considering all feedback we have decided to proceed with the proposed bus priority intersection improvements, including some changes. These changes include extended pavement rehabilitation works on Wilde Avenue and removal of two additional small trees. The steps to the All Saints Anglican Church on the Wilde Avenue side will not be reinstated, at the request of the Church.
The engagement report below provides a summary of the proposal, the feedback we received about it and our responses to this feedback.
|May 2020 -- A step closer to easing congestion on Wilde Avenue at Parramatta||41.03Kb|
If you have any questions about the works please contact our delivery partner, Downer EDI, on 1300 776 069 or email@example.com.
To find out more about this project:
Phone: 1800 575 250
Write: BPIP project team
Wilde Avenue and Victoria Road, Parramatta
PO Box 973 Parramatta NSW 2124