Moving interstate from NSW

If you are moving from NSW to reside in another state, you can drive on your NSW licence for three months, but after that you must transfer your licence to your new jurisdiction.

All Australian jurisdictions agree to allow drivers to move between jurisdictions and exchange their old licences for new ones for no fee. This allows the new licence to be issued with an expiry date to coincide with the expiry date on the old home state licence up to a period of ten years.

From 28 July 1997, refunds for unexpired licences transferred to participating Australian licensing jurisdictions ceased.

If you have a 10-year NSW driver licence and you move interstate where a driver licence is only issued up to 5 years, you will not be able to claim a refund on any remaining tenure of the 10-year licence from NSW.

Share this page: