Discounted licence renewal for safe drivers and riders
Got a good driving record? You may be eligible for a 50% discount on your licence renewal under the Fair Go for Safe Drivers Scheme.
Who is eligible
If you've had a NSW full licence for at least 5 years with no demerit points or relevant offences, you may be eligible for an automatic 50% discount on your licence renewal.
The Fair Go for Safe Drivers discount is available on driver, rider and heavy vehicle licences.
To qualify, at the time of renewal you must:
- Have held the NSW licence continuously for 5 years. You must have less than 6 months total break, for example if your licence was expired, suspended, cancelled or refused for any reason, except on medical grounds.
- Hold an unrestricted NSW licence of any class. Interstate and overseas licences, NSW learner and provisional P1 and P2 licences are not counted.
- Renew your licence within 6 months of the expiry date. If you renew more than 6 months after expiry, you must pay the full renewal fee.
- Have no relevant offences recorded on your NSW licence. This includes the 5-year period leading up to the date you renew your licence. Interstate and overseas driving records are not counted.
If you're eligible, the discount applies no matter whether you renew your unrestricted licence for 1, 3, 5 or 10 years.
Relevant offences that make you ineligible
To qualify for the Fair Go for Safe Drivers discount, you must go 5 years without any of the following:
- an offence that attracts demerit points
- a conviction for a major offence, such as drink or drug driving
- any unlicensed driving offence.
Some offences on your traffic record won't count against your eligibility for the discount. These include offences dealt with by a caution issued by Revenue NSW, or any offence that was dismissed without conviction under Section 10 of the Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act 1999.
If you're appealing an offence
If you’re appealing an offence when you renew your licence, you will not receive a discount. However, if your appeal is successful you may be eligible for a refund of 50% of the renewal fee you paid.