Rider licence

To get your rider licence for motorcycles and/or motor scooters, you must be at least 16 years and 9 months old. You also need to complete a series of training courses or tests, depending on where you live.

In this section...

Getting your rider licence

Approved motorcycles for novice riders

Rider Training Scheme

Find a training centre

Tests for riders

Learner rider licence

Provisional P1 rider licence

Provisional P2 rider licence

Full (unrestricted) rider licence

Renew or replace rider licence

Warning: Transport for NSW is the only licensing authority in NSW

A number of organisations claim that they can provide motor vehicle registrations and driver licences, including so-called '100-year driver licences' and 'perpetual vehicle registrations'.

Under NSW legislation, Transport for NSW is the only vehicle registration and driver licensing authority in NSW.

Customers are reminded that:

  • You cannot legally register your vehicle in NSW with organisations other than Transport for NSW
    Registering your vehicle with any unauthorised organisation claiming to provide vehicle registrations will mean your vehicle is not legally registered or insured for compulsory third party in NSW. This is regardless of whether the vehicle has undergone a roadworthiness inspection and/or purchased compulsory third party insurance
  • You can only get a NSW driver licence from Transport for NSW
    Anyone getting a licence card from any unauthorised organisation will be unlicensed to drive a motor vehicle in NSW
  • Your number plates may be confiscated
    If the NSW Police stop a vehicle bearing number plates supplied by an unauthorised organisation, the driver of the vehicle may be infringed for driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle. The number plates may also be confiscated
  • You may be personally liable if you have an accident
    In the case of an accident where the driver of a vehicle bearing number plates from an unauthorised organisation is responsible, they may be held personally liable for any damage or injury caused.

For enquires please contact Transport for NSW on 13 22 13.

Share this page: