Pre-provisional course

You need to successfully complete the pre-provisional training course to progress from a learner rider licence to a P1 rider licence, if you live in an area where training is available (declared area).

About the pre-provisional course

The pre-provisional training course runs for 7 hours, and you need to provide your own motorcycle. You may be able to hire a motorcycle from the course provider, but this will need to be arranged at least 5 days ahead of your course.

At the end of the course, you’ll undertake a practical riding skills test (Motorcycle Operator Skill Test) to assess your riding ability. If you pass, you’ll be issued a Certificate of Competence, valid for 3 months.

Once you have your Certificate of Competence, go to a service centre to apply for your P1 rider licence. The certificate is valid for three months. If you haven’t got your P1 rider licence before your certificate expires, you will have to do the course and practical riding skills test again.

If you passed the pre-provisional course but failed the skills test, you must pass a skills test before the three month validity of the course ends. You will be required to pay and attend a pre-provisional course if you let it expire (three months) before you pass the skills test.

Booking a pre-provisional course

You need to book directly with your chosen training course provider. Our Rider training centres page lists all the providers and their contact details. You’ll need to pay the course fee when you book, so if you book online or by phone you’ll need a credit card.

Important: You must have a current NSW learner rider licence before you can book a course.

Changing or cancelling a booking

If you need to change or cancel a booking, contact the training provider directly. Changes are subject to the terms and conditions of your booking, as are refunds of course fees.

On the day

Plan to arrive at the course location at least 20 minutes before the scheduled start time. If you arrive after the course has started, you will not be allowed to join the course. Course fees are not refundable in this situation.

You need to bring:

  • Your current learner rider licence
  • Your motorcycle. It must be registered and in roadworthy condition, with a current number plate and L plate attached. You will not be allowed to complete the course if your motorcycle is not registered, not roadworthy or not on the approved motorcycles for novice riders list.

Check with your rider training provider for details on what you need to wear and any other requirements for training.

Share this page: