Non-complying vehicles are only offered conditional registration if it is safe to do so and a complying vehicle cannot perform the function.
The following factors are considered when deciding an Application for Conditional Registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The nature and extent of any failure of the vehicle to meet applicable vehicle standards
- The safety of:
- The vehicle operator
- The vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- The vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- The vehicle mixing with pedestrians
- Time of day or night of operation
- Special considerations relating to the area of operation (if any).
Note: Operators of oversize and overmass vehicles must also comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. For more information contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371 for intrastate permits, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 for interstate permits.
- These vehicles must travel in their most compact form to minimise dimensions and to provide maximum visibility for driver.
- Oversize and/or overdimension vehicles require a special permit and must comply with permit conditions. Operators must contact the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator to find out if the vehicle is eligible for an oversize and/or overdimension permit before proceeding with the registration application.
All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017 for light vehicles or Schedule 2 of the Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation (NSW) for heavy vehicles.
|Equipment||Daylight / Floodlit use||24 hour use|
|Amber rotating beacon||Yes||Yes|
|Brake and turn lights||Yes||Yes|
|Headlights, tail and number plate lights||No||Yes|
|Clearance lights or delineators||Yes||Yes|
|Rear reflectors or reflective tape||Yes||Yes|
|Side reflective tape||No||Yes|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||Yes||Yes|
|Daylight / floodlit worksite use only (omitted if vehicle has headlights)||TD1|
|Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving||SL1|
|Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can operate in areas designated in L03, L05, G05 or G093)||LO99|
|Restricted to designates areas / routes OR||L03 + free text|
|Use only within a defined road construction zone where a traffic control plan
|Use only for farming purposes||G093|
|Use only by shortest suitable route between depots and worksites (applies only with either L03 or L05)||G05|
|Overmass (route specific)||OM3|
|Oversize permit (general) OR||OS1|
|Oversize permit (route specific)||OS2|
|If hydraulic steering fitted, steering failure warning device / sign required||SL99|
|If hydraulic steering fitted, restricted to a maximum speed of 45km/h||SP45|
Roads and Maritime Services office use
|Vehicle shape||AGP or EWP or RWP|
Compulsory Third Party insurance class
For FARM/UFRM, section one of the Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession required.
Conditional registration –
Unregistered vehicle permit –
|Registration usage||PLNT or RDWK (RDWN if vehicle over 4.5 tonnes GVM) or PPG (PPGN if vehicle over 4.5y GVM)|