Non-complying vehicles are only offered conditional registration if it is safe to do so and a complying vehicle cannot perform the function.
The following factors are considered when deciding an Application for Conditional Registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The nature and extent of any failure of the vehicle to meet applicable vehicle standards
- The safety of:
- The vehicle operator
- The vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- The vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- The vehicle mixing with pedestrians
- Time of day or night of operation
- Special considerations relating to the area of operation (if any).
Note: Operators of oversize and overmass vehicles must also comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. For more information contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371 for intrastate permits, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 for interstate permits.
- Second-hand bulldozers manufactured before 21 October 1994 and which are owned by primary producers in drought declared areas are exempt from the essential equipment requirements listed for this type of vehicle.
- All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017 for light vehicles or Schedule 2 of the Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation (NSW) for heavy vehicles.
|Equipment||Daylight / floodlit use|
|Amber rotating beacon||Yes|
|Brake and turn lights||No|
|Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights||No|
|Rear and side reflective tape||No|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||Yes|
|Daylight / floodlit worksite use only
Note: Not required if vehicle has headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights
|Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving||SL1|
|Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can be operated in areas designated in LO5)||LO99|
|Use only within a defined road construction zone where a traffic control plan applied||LO5|
|OR use for farming purposes only Note: Only applies to Compulsory Third Party insurance class: FARM. A Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession (PDF, 254Kb) must be presented with the Application for Conditional Registration (PDF, 331Kb).||GO93|
|Steering failure warning device / sign required
Note: Only applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering.
Roads and Maritime Services office use
|Compulsory Third Party insurance class
Note: If FARM or UFRM, a Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession (PDF, 254Kb) must be presented with the Application for Conditional Registration (PDF, 331Kb).
|Registration usage||PLNT / RDWK / RDWN (if NRTC vehicle over 4.5 tonnes GVM)|