Dump truck - rigid / articulated
Non-complying vehicles are only offered conditional registration if it is safe to do so and a complying vehicle cannot perform the function.
The following factors are considered when deciding an Application for Conditional Registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The nature and extent of any failure of the vehicle to meet applicable vehicle standards
- The safety of:
- The vehicle operator
- The vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- The vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- The vehicle mixing with pedestrians
- Time of day or night of operation
- Special considerations relating to the area of operation (if any).
Note: Operators of oversize and overmass vehicles must also comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. For more information contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371 for intrastate permits, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 for interstate permits.
- Rigid/articulated off-road dump trucks must be within Roads and Maritime Services approval for length (12.5m), width (2.5m), height (4.3m) and weight limits
- Vehicles that have a compliance plate or built on a truck-based chassis are not eligible for conditional registration and are subject to full registration and national heavy vehicle charges.
All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017 for light vehicles or Schedule 2 of the Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation (NSW) for heavy vehicles.
|Equipment||Daylight / floodlit use||24 hour use|
|Amber rotating beacon||Yes||Yes|
|Brake and turn lights||Yes||Yes|
|Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights||No||Yes|
|Rear reflectors or rear reflective tape||Yes||Yes|
|Side reflectors or side reflective tape||No||Yes|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||Yes||Yes|
Daylight / floodlit worksite use only
|Flashing amber beacon required and must be used when vehicle moving||SL1|
|Speed limited to 40km/h||SP40|
|Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can travel in areas designated in L05)||L099|
|Use only within a defined construction zone where a traffic control plan applies||L05|
|Not to be operated on a sealed road if carrying any load||Free text|
Steering failure warning device, warning label and Maximum Speed Advisory sign required
‘Left-hand drive’ sign required
Roads and Maritime Services office use
|Compulsory Third Party insurance class||
Conditional registration –
Unregistered Vehicle Permit -
|Registration usage||Not applicable|