Non-complying vehicles are only offered conditional registration if it is safe to do so and a complying vehicle cannot perform the function.
The following factors are considered when deciding an Application for Conditional Registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The nature and extent of any failure of the vehicle to meet applicable vehicle standards
- The safety of:
- The vehicle operator
- The vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- The vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- The vehicle mixing with pedestrians
- Time of day or night of operation
- Special considerations relating to the area of operation (if any).
Note: Operators of oversize and overmass vehicles must also comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. For more information contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371 for intrastate permits, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 for interstate permits.
- A street rod is a vehicle that has been modified for safe road use and that:
- Has a body and frame that were built before 1949, or
- Is a replica of a vehicle the body and frame of which were built before 1949
- Applications must be accompanied by a Street Rod Declaration authorised by a member of NSW Street Rod Committee, together with a safety inspection report (valid for 42 days) before establishing or renewing a registration
- The registered operator must be a financial member of a club affiliated with the Australian Street Rod Federation, or recognised by NSW Street Rod Committee, and a NSW resident
- Vehicles can only be used for events organised and officially documented by an approved NSW Street Rod Club and/or sanctioned by Australian Street Rod Federation
All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017 for light vehicles or Schedule 2 of the Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation (NSW) for heavy vehicles.
|Equipment||Daylight/floodlit use||24 hour use|
|Amber rotating beacon||No||No|
|Brake and turn lights||Yes||Yes|
|Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights||Yes||Yes|
|Rear and side reflective tape||No||No|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||Yes||Yes|
|Use only in conjunction with authorised club event or maintenance||GO94|
|Registered operator must be a member of NSW Street Rod approved club||OL3|
Roads and Maritime Services office use
|Vehicle shape||SED / WAG / PVW / PVF / COU / CON|
|Compulsory Third Party insurance class||
|Registration usage||PRIV / PNSR|