Renew your registration

You need to renew your registration by its due date, otherwise your vehicle will be unregistered. There are heavy penalties for driving unregistered vehicles.

You can renew registration in advance:

  • Online: up to 6 weeks before expiry, provided a renewal notice has been sent
  • In person at a registry or service centre: up to 3 months before expiry
  • By calling the contact centre: up to 3 months before expiry.

Claim a CTP Green Slip refund

The NSW Government has reformed the compulsory third party (CTP) insurance scheme to reduce the costs of CTP Green Slips for vehicle owners and better support people injured on our roads.

If you were the registered owner of a private vehicle as at midnight 30 November 2017, you may be able to claim a CTP Green Slip refund for insurance policies bought or renewed with a start date before 1 December 2017. Over 4 million NSW vehicle owners will be eligible for a refund as a result of these reforms.

Claim your refund online at Service NSW about Claim a CTP Green Slip refund

Three steps to renew your registration

1. Buy your Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance (green slip)
Most CTP insurers send confirmation of your CTP insurance details to Roads and Maritime Services electronically.

Need more information about CTP insurance? See Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance.

2. Get a vehicle inspection (if required)

Most vehicles require an annual inspection, unless the vehicle is exempt. Your registration renewal notice will state whether your vehicle needs an inspection.

Important: If you change the term of your registration when you renew, it may impact on inspection requirements. See Short term registration for more information.

If your vehicle needs an inspection, you’ll need to organise this with an examiner authorised by Roads and Maritime. The examiner will send the inspection result to Roads and Maritime electronically.

Need more information about vehicle inspections? See Vehicle inspections, or call 13 77 88.

3. Renew your registration
Once you’ve bought your CTP insurance and your vehicle has passed an inspection (if required), you’re ready to renew your registration.

Note: If you're an eligible pensioner concession card holder, and there's no payment due, your registration may be automatically renewed.

There are four ways to make a payment and renew:

  • Online – the easiest way to renew your registration:
    • Pay by BPay or with your credit card using a secure transaction environment
  • Phone – pay with your credit card:
    • Interactive voice response system on 1300 360 782
    • Speak to a customer service officer on 13 77 88
  • Post – pay with a cheque or credit card authority:
    • Send your payment and registration renewal notice to
      Service NSW
      PO Box 21, Parkes NSW 2870
  • In person – at any registry or service centre:
    • Pay by cash, EFTPOS, credit card or cheque.  

Renewing NSW registration while interstate or overseas

If you are interstate or overseas and need to renew your NSW registration, you can post your renewal to:

Service NSW
PO Box 21
Parkes, NSW 2870

You will need to provide:

  • Your registration renewal notice
  • Inspection report (if required) - please read the important information about inspection reports
  • CTP insurance policy, or electronic notification of CTP insurance details received by Roads and Maritime from your insurer (not required for trailers)
  • Cheque (made out to Roads and Maritime Services) or credit card authorisation for the amount of the renewal.

Inspection reports from interstate or overseas examiners

Inspection reports received from interstate or overseas examiners must record inspection details similar to those for NSW AIS inspection reports. The inspection report must define that individual items such as braking, lighting, steering etc have been inspected and passed as suitable for safe use, and the vehicle must be in a satisfactory condition overall. A letter from an examiner stating that the vehicle is 'suitable for safe use' is not acceptable.

Heavy vehicles subject to Roads and Maritime HVIS inspections cannot be renewed on equivalent heavy vehicle safety check inspection reports issued by interstate or overseas authorities.

Interstate inspection reports

Roads and Maritime will only accept an interstate inspection report for a light vehicle if you are more than 50km from the NSW border.

The report must be from either:

  • The registering authority in another state or territory (eg VicRoads, Queensland Transport etc), or
  • An inspection station approved by the interstate authority, or
  • A recognised motor industry body that is a member of the Australian Automobile Association (eg RACV, RACWA, RACQ, RAA South Australia).

Overseas inspection reports

The report must be from either:

  • A government department, or
  • An organisation delegated to undertake suitable for safe use inspections.
Share this page: