Short term registration
Short term registration provides you with the flexibility to renew your registration for a shorter period, and to move your registration renewal date.
About short term registration
Short term registration provides different options for registration renewals:
- Six-month registration terms for most light vehicles (up to 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass), including motorcycles and trailers, as well as heavy vehicles (over 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass)
- Three-month registration terms for trailers and heavy vehicle vehicles (over 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass).
Light vehicles (up to 4.5 tonnes)
Short term registration is only available for light vehicles when renewing registration – it is not available when applying for registration for a vehicle not currently registered in NSW.
There are no additional fees for short term registration for light vehicles. For example, six-month registration is approximately half the cost of a 12-month registration (subject to nearest dollar rounding on the components that make up the total cost). See Registration fees.
A surcharge is applied to process quarterly or half-yearly heavy vehicle registrations. The surcharge is 10 per cent of the NHVR regulatory charge and the NTC road user charge. This is a Transport for NSW charge to cover the cost of processing the transaction for a shorter term.
For further information on registration fees for particular heavy vehicles, call 13 22 13.
Seasonal registration is available for vehicles that are used for agricultural or over-snow purposes to coincide with seasonal needs. See Seasonal registration.
Contact us for more information, or call 13 77 88.
Changing the registration term changes inspection requirements
If you choose to change the term of your registration when you renew, it may change the inspection requirements for your vehicle as shown on the renewal notice.
You will need a new inspection if the new registration expiry date is more than 12 months after the last registration renewal when an inspection was needed.
Registration renewal notices
Registration renewal notices for light vehicles (up to 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass) are issued for the same term as the previous renewal. However if the registration is transferred to a new operator, the next renewal notice defaults to a 12 month term, because most customers choose this term. Heavy vehicle renewal notices are issued for the same term as the previous renewal in all cases.
- You had your vehicle inspected and renewed the registration for six months. Your next renewal notice will be issued for another six month term, and shows 'inspection not required':
- If you renew for another six months, you don't need another inspection, because the new expiry date will be less than 12 months after the last registration renewal when an inspection was needed.
- If you decide to change your registration term to 12 months, you will need to have the vehicle inspected (even though the renewal notice states no inspection required), because the new expiry date will be more than 12 months after the last registration renewal when an inspection was needed.
- You've bought a vehicle that had an inspection and was renewed by the previous operator for six months:
- You'll receive a renewal notice for 12 months, because the vehicle has been transferred, and this will show 'inspection required', because the new expiry date will be more than 12 months since the registration renewal when an inspection was needed.
- If you choose to renew for six months, you do not need to get an inspection, because the expiry date will only be six months from the last registration renewal when an inspection was needed.
Inspection requirements - diagram
This diagram shows when a vehicle inspection is required for renewing registration with different combinations of terms.
Each row in the diagram represents a scenario of how you may choose to renew your vehicle registration. Each arrow represents a registration term, of either three, six or 12 months.
If the term you choose for your next registration period means the next registration expiry date is more than 12 months after the last registration renewal when an inspection was needed, your vehicle will need an inspection (unless it is exempt from inspections – see Vehicle inspections for information on which types of vehicles require inspection).
For more information or advice, please call 13 77 88.