Using toll roads

All Sydney toll roads are cashless. This means you need an electronic tag or pass to pay your tolls.

By law, you must pay the toll when you drive on a toll road. Signs leading to a toll road have the words 'TOLL' or ‘TOLL E e’ in black letters on a yellow patch.

Motorway with 'Last exit before toll' sign above the roadway

Tags are useful for people regularly using toll roads. Passes are designed for visitors to use on a temporary basis. Find out about tags and passes.

If you don’t already have an electronic tag, you can set up a temporary electronic pass before you leave home, or up to 3 days after you use a toll road.

If you don’t make an arrangement to pay within 3 days of the trip, the toll road operator will issue a toll notice to the registered operator of the vehicle. The toll notice requests the toll charge plus an administration fee.

In this section...

Calculate your toll

Toll charges

Types of charging

Travelling by taxi, hire car or rideshare?

If you are travelling by taxi, hire car or rideshare and decide to use toll roads, the driver will charge you the tolls as part of your total fare.

For more information see Transport for NSW’s passenger information.

Using a rental car

Some rental car companies include electronic toll payment options as part of the use of the vehicle.

Rental cars with tags

If the vehicle you rent has a tag fitted, you cannot use your own tag or pass – if you do you may end up being charged twice for the trip, once on your own tag/pass, and once by the rental car company.

If you need to carry your own tag with you in the rental vehicle, please ask your rental vehicle provider for a shield bag to store your tag in.

The following rental companies provide myEtoll tags and passes:

  • Apex
  • Avis/Budget
  • Bargain
  • Cheaper
  • Europcar,
  • Hertz
  • Newcastle Car and Truck Rental
  • Redspot Auburn
  • Southern Cross Truck Rentals
  • Thrifty
  • Turnbulls Hire Drive

Rental cars without tags

If your rental car company does not provide an electronic tag, you can arrange an electronic pass yourself.

You will need to know the number plate of the rental car, and the state it’s registered in. Also make sure that the pass is only valid for the days you use the vehicle.

Toll not paid

If you do not pay a toll by an electronic tag or pass, the toll road operator will issue a toll notice to the rental car company (as the name on the vehicle’s registration).

Rental car companies will redirect the toll notice to you, but will charge at least $30 for each toll notice received. This is on top of the tolls and administrative charges incurred by you, so if you drive a rental car in Sydney, make sure you have an arrangement to pay tolls.

Interstate toll roads, tags and passes

Queensland and Victoria also have toll roads, so if you are travelling to these states, you will need an electronic tag or pass to pay your tolls.

All electronic tags can be used in all states.

Electronic passes are state-specific, so you will need one for each state where you will be using toll roads.

Find a toll tag and pass provider.

Share this page: