Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for bulldozers.


Conditional registration for bulldozers

Bulldozers need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive a bulldozer.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a bulldozer.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Daylight / floodlit worksite use only
Note: Not required if vehicle has headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights
Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle movingSL1
Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can be operated in areas designated in LO5)LO99
Use only within a defined road construction zone where a traffic control plan appliedLO5
OR use for farming purposes only
Note: Only applies to Compulsory Third Party insurance class: FARM. A Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession must be presented with the Application for Conditional Registration.
Steering failure warning device / sign required
Note: Only applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering.

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met:

  • Second-hand bulldozers manufactured before 21 October 1994 and which are owned by primary producers in drought declared areas are exempt from the essential equipment requirements listed for this type of vehicle.
EquipmentDaylight/floodlit use
Amber rotating beaconYes
Brake and turn lightsNo
Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lightsNo
Rear reflectors or reflective tapeYes
Rear and side reflective tapeNo
Rear vision mirror(s)Yes


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code TypeCode
Vehicle shapeDZP
Compulsory Third Party insurance class
Note: If FARM or UFRM, a Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession (PDF, 254Kb) must be presented with the Application for Conditional Registration.
Conditional registration - FARM, PLNT, SVEH
Unregistered Vehicle Permit - UFRM / UPLN / USVE
Registration usagePLNT / RDWK / RDWN (if NRTC vehicle over 4.5 tonnes GVM)
Share this page: