Primary producers registration concessions

Primary producers can apply for a concession on their vehicle registration. Find out if you qualify and how to apply.

What is a primary producer?

A primary producer is a person or incorporated body who cultivates or uses their own or someone else's land for their own benefit:

  • for the production of fruit, grains, flowers, vegetables, tobacco or farm or agricultural produce of any description
  • for dairy farming, poultry or other bird farming, pig farming, bee keeping, or oyster or fish culture
  • for a nursery
  • as a pastoralist for the rearing or grazing of horses, cattle or sheep
  • who gather leaves from which eucalyptus or other oil is to be distilled.

For example, fish farmers and plantation forest cultivators are primary producers and are eligible for registration concession.

Primary producer vehicle requirements

To get a concession, the vehicle must be a motor vehicle (not used or let for hire), owned by the primary producer, incorporated body or rural co-operative.

While on road and road-related areas the vehicle must be principally used for:

  • carting primary products that the primary producer or another primary producer has produced
  • carting leaves which the primary producer or another primary producer has gathered and from which eucalyptus or some other oil is to be distilled
  • carting goods of any kind for use in the primary producer's business or another primary producer's business, or in the primary producer's household or another primary producer's household
  • purposes connected with the clearing of land that the primary producer or another primary producer proposes to use for primary production.

What is the registration concession?

Primary producer vehicles receive the following concessions.

Light vehicles (up to 4.5 tonnes GVM)

  • Cars and station wagons - private rate of vehicle tax.
  • Trucks and trailers - 55% of business rate of vehicle tax and capped.
  • Tractors - 55% of business rate of vehicle tax and capped.

Heavy vehicles (over 4.5 tonnes GVM)

  • Applicable registration charge or vehicle tax, whichever is lower.

Applying for a primary producer concession

To apply for a concession you must provide a Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession when you:

You may also need to provide one of the following documents to prove your eligibility:

  • Tax Averaging or Assessment Certificate (not more than 2 years old)
  • Declaration stating you are a primary producer as defined in the Motor Vehicles Taxation Act 1988, signed by your tax agent or accountant (not more than 12 months old)
  • Energy Grants Credit Scheme Assessment, provided the activity printed under 'Claims details' is shown as agriculture, forestry or fishing (not more than 2 years old).

Your registration may be suspended or cancelled if you do not supply one of the documents above when requested.

You must also notify us within 14 days if you no longer qualify for a primary producer concession. You should visit a service centre to do this.

Farm vehicles that don't need registration

Some vehicles used for the purpose of primary production do not have to be registered. These include vehicles solely used to cross a road or road-related area which divides land used for the purpose of primary production.

The following types of agricultural implements don't need registration:

  • implements towed by a vehicle
  • trailers towed by an agricultural machine
  • irrigating equipment
  • augers
  • conveyors
  • harvester fronts and harvest bins.

Agricultural machinery like tractors and harvesters also don't need to be registered.

Share this page: